Friday, February 13, 2009

Justice, Equality, Envy, Evil, Revolution


If John Brown and Lenin were egotists, then I can accept those remarks of Žižek's from his book Violence that you cited in a recent post. But when I look around me here in the USA (Unreflective States of Arrogance), I do not see benign egotists who are too concerned with their own good to cause harm to anyone. What I see are self-worshiping idiots with large cars and small libraries.


In the Unreflective States of Arrogance I see thousands of submissive but pompous, hypocritical academics who have sold their souls for TIAA-CREF, homes in exclusive neighborhoods, perfect hairstyles, tasteful clothes, and pearly-white, crocodile smiles. They have privileged access to information and what do they use it for? Vainglorious self-promotion, posturing, and reckless competition over trifles.


But I also see—here in the USA—thousands of good-intentioned, working-class people who still believe in democracy. These are the people who must be converted to the cause before communism can win. Many of our invisible and forgotten workers also serve in the National Guard or the Reserves. I am a veteran; but I did not enlist in order to invade other countries and to steal the natural resources. I did not enlist in order to preserve the system of privileges as it now stands. I believe a dream is worth dying for, and the nation I love (the nation I thought I would be serving when I enlisted) is not the nation we really are, but the nation we might be someday. Unless we are hypocrites who want revolution without revolution, the left must re-appropriate from the right notions like duty, honor, and self-sacrifice. I have a dream of what the USA could be, like our nonviolent martyr, Martin Luther King jr., who said that "if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."


Let the cowardly and vain American academics pre-judge me to be naive; I do not care. I challenge any one of these pseudo-leftist intellectuals to explain to me how the left will really accomplish anything without involving the unemployed and the working poor. The problem now is that most North American workers still admire people like Bill Gates instead of people like John Brown, Lenin, and Che. My Žižek is the one who educates the proletariat.


If "self-love" involves risking one's reputation (or even better, one's very existence) for the sake of the millions of slum dwellers and all of the other abject, disenfranchised human beingsincluding the future generations whose inheritance we are currently wastingthen is this really egotism?


If Che was an "egotist" then okay, I can accept Žižek's remarks that you cited. But if Che was acting out of "envy," then give me such envy or give me death. I agree with Plato that the love of luxuries and privileges corrupts the soul (call it "self-reflexive negativity" or "death drive" if you prefer). The only reason I care about money is to save enough of it to someday leave this evil empire. All around me in the Unreflective States of Arrogance I see swaggering, domineering narcissists who have no concern for future generations or for the ecology. I see politicians who are puppets dancing on strings pulled by corporations. And of course I prefer chocolate to vanilla, but when are we finally going to socialize these corporations? It looks to me like we will wait do it until it is too late for us: after the ecology is destroyed and we are a province of China's empire.


Okay, theory matters. But so does the revolution. And even if he sometimes seems to contradict himself or waver, I believe that for Žižek theory is not the only thing that matters. In spite of what he sometimes provocatively blurts out, people matter to him also; this is precisely why he wants communism to win: he has said as much in other texts and in interviews.


Give me the Žižek who (like Badiou) loves Western movies, admires courage, and puts a guillotine on the dust jacket of In Defense of Lost Causes. I have no use at all for a cute and lovable, overgrown teddy bear. Dirty jokes bore me; and I cannot find inspiration in a narcissistic, pure theoretician. Some of us simply cannot bury our heads in ontology and metapsychology. You have your Žižek and I have mine. Maybe he's no Lenin, but if my Žižek won't keep speaking out for the dispossessed, then I'll look into Badiou or elsewhere.








No comments:

Post a Comment